Customized Care for Dogs with Higher Needs
**We are not currently accepting new clients**
We are local, experienced, professional, tech-enabled, and fully insured & bonded. Services include Behavior Centered and Gentle care dog walks/Visits, Overnight Customized Care pet sitting in your home, and Low-Stress Boarding in our dog-centric home.
Lotus Canine established in 2015, began while working with dogs in the high stress shelter environment. What started off as a side-gig dog sitting special pups post-adoption turned into a full fledged business after working in other shelters and kennels and realizing that there were no calm boarding facilities and a shortage of highly experienced dog walkers who could handle dogs with higher level behavioral and medical needs. Thankfully, these dogs with unique quirks who would otherwise be euthanized in other cities are being adopted in our compassionate No-Kill community of Austin, Texas. My team and I enjoy seeing the transition from shelter to home and witnessing how resilient and beautiful these dogs can be despite difficult circumstances in some cases just as the lotus rises from muddy waters to thrive in the sun. We are proud to serve this special population and their families.
What makes us different?
Learn more about what we do
• Dog handlers have years of experience working with pets with specific medical and behavioral needs.
• We pursue continuing education seminars and workshops on topics such as Aggression in dogs and defensive handling, First Aid, Canine Massage, and more.
• We are members of the IBPSA, a professional organization who assists us with keeping up to date on issues regarding pet health, safety, and best practices in the industry.
• Use of relationship-based behavior modification during services.
• Owner is a Type 1 Diabetic, who is thoroughly invested in the health of all pets.
• No Barky Kennels-low volume, lower stress environment vs. traditional boarding kennels.
• We work with dogs of all sizes, breeds, and temperaments.
• Access to a large network of personally known CPDT-KA certified Austin dog trainers for assistance and referrals.
• Knowledge of a variety of training styles and safe use of equipment.
• Use of the humane hierarchy while acknowledging that ALL DOGS ARE INDIVIDUALS.
"Jennifer at Lotus Canine has been the best boarder and dog-sitter for our sweet but shy/defensive dog. Jasmine (our dog) has had a tough life and for that reason she pretty much hates everyone except me and my partner. We were so nervous to leave her with anyone, because in the past we used an online dog boarding service and our girl ended up getting out and being lost for hours. Jennifer was so professional during our meet and greet and you could tell she really had a lot of experience with defensive dogs. It was so nice to not worry about Jasmine and be able to enjoy our vacation. We know she is in good hands every time we leave her! Jennifer has even taken the time to help socialize Jasmine with other dogs! We have since moved out of Austin, but anytime we go on vacation we drive back to Austin to use Jennifer because we genuinely only trust her with our baby girl. Can’t say enough good things about Lotus Canine!"
"I’ve been using Lotus Canine to give my senior three legged poodle APA! rescue dog a mid day break. With a more than full time job I knew I needed a dependable, loving, knowledgeable person who had reasonable rates. The best part of Jennifer of Lotus Canine is that I really believe she enjoys spending time with my dog! That makes me feel so much relief knowing he is getting what he deserves. She also was totally willing to help me with some training too! I get cute photos of his appointment and a full report😊 I 100% recommend this service."